Data Across Sectors for Health (DASH) developed this informational guide to provide an overview of common terms used when discussing health care data to promote a shared vocabulary across sectors. Given the diversity and complexity in health care data systems, this guide serves as a starting point for non-health sector professionals who want to further investigate the health care data available in their local communities and consider how to best leverage it to tackle priorities identified by multi-sector partnerships.
This guide answers questions such as:
- Who collects and uses health care data?
- What are some common types of health care data?
- How is health care data stored and what systems are used to store it?
- What are typical uses of health care data?
- How can different organizations access health care data?
- What data are available in my local community?